Friday, March 16, 2012

Pin 32

Original pin:

Broccoli Cheese Soup
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/12/broccoli-cheese-soup.html

I love broccoli cheese soup. It is just one of those foods I dream about and constantly crave. I do not, however, crave processed American cheese product. While I'm pretty sure my boys aren't concerned with the level of processing in their food, I try to keep our processed food to a minimum when I can. Last week at the dinner table Luke posed the question to me, "Why do YOU always get to pick what we eat?" Well, sir, be my guest to plan the menu, but you must follow my guidelines to include fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and a variety of foods. Then and there, Luke decided to pick out our dinner for Tuesday. He picked out broccoli cheese soup, fresh berries, and whole wheat bread with butter. Pretty good for a beginner, eh?

I decided to try this new recipe I had recently pinned. I didn't have quite enough cheddar, so I subbed in about 1/2 cup of mozzarella. Also, I prefer my soup without the giant chunks of broccoli, so I used my favorite kitchen gadget, the immersion blender, to whip it all smooth. It was very good. Initially it was a little thick, but I just added chicken broth until it was the consistency I was looking for.

My smooth version
Total cost: Around $10 for about 10 servings

Total time: 30 minutes

Final verdict: Delicious! Adding it to my recipe box.

No comments:

Post a Comment