Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Favorite French Fries

These were adapted from a fancy recipe. The original recipe had lots of garlic and butter and salt. Don't get me wrong, I love garlic and butter and salt. But there was just too much for a french fry. I tamed it down for myself and my kids to make them more like recognizable french fries and encourage my family to eat them! I adjusted some of the cooking times and now I love them! I want them right now. I don't feel guilty about these at all because they don't come out of a vat fryer in a drive-thru.

It's really very simple. Peel and slice potatoes into whatever shape you want. I usually aim for french fry shaped. I usually prepare about one potato per person. Place potatoes in large Ziploc bag and add 1-2 tsp canola oil per potato, depending on your potato size. Shake to coat evenly and then pour potatoes onto a large baking sheet sprayed with a little non-stick spray. Arrange potatoes into a single layer and salt as desired. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn over and bake an additional 15 minutes or so until they are your desired level of done-ness (that's for those of you who like your fries extra-crispy).  Let them cool a little and then gobble them up while you think of me.

This was an extra 10 minutes after the toss.
Total cost: Free this time--my mother sent me some potatoes!

Total time 1 hour 15 minutes (including baking time)

Final verdict: Well, I said these are my favorite, right?

2 comments:

  1. I followed your instructions and made some really yummy fries.

    Thank you so much for your crispy tip, I cooked them for about an hour and they were delicious!

    http://sometimesfoodie.tumblr.com/post/37296088356/oven-baked-fries-from-this-recipe-i-am-a

    ReplyDelete