Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pin 50

Original pin:
Pinned Image
http://blogs.babble.com/family-style/2011/08/12/10-easy-hair-bun-alternatives-for-mom-hair/?pid=3211#slideshow

Titled "15 Easy Hair Bun Alternatives for 'Mom Hair'" was a bunch of links to different hair ideas and tutorials. I chose to try the Chestnut Bun.



http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2011/06/do-your-own-wedding-hair-chestnut-bun.html


Looks pretty easy, right? I am really in dire need of a haircut so this elegant hair style that hides all the ratty ends is perfect. I chose to attempt it for work last night. It took me a few tries to get the hair pull-through step just right. First I was using one of those hair bands with the extra grips to keep it in tight and it was causing all sorts of snags when I was trying to pull through. I found another band without the grips and that one worked better. I also found that it was easier to pull the whole ponytail through by making the whole and starting by flipping the base of the pony through first rather than sticking my fingers through the hole and trying to grab the pony to pull through from the middle or ends.  Judging by the step-by-step pictures this looks like what the author did too. I didn't get it perfectly straight, but I did like the end result. It was smooth and felt pretty--much prettier than a messy bun or ponytail. It mostly held up for the entire 12 hour shift, I had only one straggler spring loose. The tutorial DID say to carry some extra pins on you to tame any loose hairs through the night. But overall I was pretty happy with it.

My good camera's batteries were dead (thanks to lots of use on Easter) so I had to shoot it with my phone camera so we'll just have to call these "artsy."


It's hard to see the detail, but the flip creates a feminine twist on each side of the bun.

Total cost: $0

Total time: I played with it for about ten minutes and did it completely at least twice. After practice, I could probably do it in less than five minutes.

Final verdict: I loved it! It felt elegant and would be an easy updo for any occasion. This one will definitely be making the rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment