Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Fort Worth-Austin Road Trip Hat

The hubs and I took off to Austin for a few days (and nights) to celebrate making it past the 7 year itch. On Monday we marked 8 years of marriage. Woohoo!

I took off Pinterest-ing for the trip as well. However, my hands are always itching to create something and I needed something to fill the time down. We had to fight through all that UT traffic going home from the TX-OU game and I knew we could be in for a looonnngg drive.



Lately I've been looking for a cute hat that was not necessarily a "team" hat to wear. I hadn't found anything I liked so I decided to just make one. I was strolling around JoAnns the other day when I came across a plain utility cap. I thought for sure I'd be able to find you a picture of it plain, but I was unlucky. You'll just have to use your imagination.

Saturday night before we left I worked on some crochet flowers at girl's craft night. I did a little more talking than crocheting, so these flowers took a bit longer, but I did use the same tutorial as I did back at Pin 113. Then when we hit the road, I worked on the edging piece and then sewed all the pieces on. By the time we hit Austin proper I was sporting this fine fashion:


Total cost: I had to buy some extra yarn because I didn't have that dark gray color I wanted so I spent around $10 total

Total time: 6-ish hours. Remember, I started the flowers while chatting and drinking wine, so time wasn't really important.

Final verdict: I am happy with my new hat. It is a bit more feminine than just a plain team-style ball cap. The bill is shorter and the hat has a different style shape to it. I used it a lot because we had wind, rain, and an early morning departure today.

Stay tuned for the Austin-Fort Worth return trip. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment