Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pin 131 & Pin 132

I actually did these pins a few months ago but am just getting around to posting about them. Who knew that starting Kindergarten would derail me so much!

Original pin:
Pinned Image
http://quilttaffy.blogspot.com/2008/07/invisible-closing-seam-tutorial.html

Invisible closing seam tutorial. I have actually used this a few times since the first , but originally I was using it to finish up a sash. It is really a great tutorial. It has clear instructions and lots of pictures so I had no trouble following along. I don't have too terribly much to say about it since it really was made so simple.


The finished product.
Total time: 5 minutes

Total cost: $0

Final verdict: Guess I already gave this one away when I said that I had used it multiple times already! oops! It is a great tutorial for a very handy stitching technique. I also used it on Pin 114 to close up my little owl.

Original pin:

Pinned Image
http://blog.globalstreetsnap.com/post/23167060192/love-this

Going for this look. . . I pinned it to my "I could make that" board. And so I did. I attempted to make a top, skirt, and sash. And I attempted it without a pattern. I chose a few pieces I already owned to use as guides and worked from there.

The skirt gave me a lot of trouble and, as goes with sewing on the fly, I started to run out of fabric. It ended up tighter across my hips and thighs than I intended and I just couldn't get it to hang just right.

I love the top. It is very light and comfortable and goes well with jeans also.

Here it is:

The original model is much thinner than me and she is wearing the skirt higher at her waist, where I made mine to hit at the hips because that is more comfortable for me.

Total cost: eesh. I forgot. I did these a while ago and I can't find the receipt.

Total time: 4 hours. All three pieces were very basic items.

Final verdict: The top and sash have gotten a lot of use. The skirt--not so much. I have worn it a few times, but like I said before, it is a little tighter than intended and doesn't quite hang right. But I am out of room for more modifications. I might just hike it up next summer and wear it as a strapless dress. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment