Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pin 153

The last of my Halloween posts. . .

Original pin:
Pinned Image
http://www.moredesignplease.com/moredesignplease/2010/6/6/diy-recycled-t-shirt-tote-bag.html

I'm not going to lie to my faithful Pinspiration followers. Here is the truth. I did make these. I did not make these this year. In fact, I made them for last Halloween. When I was pulling out all the holiday decor I came across them and decided to share them with you now. So here they are: Recycled t-shirt tote bags.

This was one of the first projects I ever did from Pinterest. It is really, really easy. Last year I thought I could make some really cute upcycled trick-or-treating for the boys. Daddy had this bright orange Halloween shirt that was just begging to be turned into a candy sack. I dug another orange shirt out of his drawer and went to work. In no time at all I had two trick-or-treat sacks ready to go.

The jack-o-lantern shirt was a men's XL and the elephant was a men's L. These made really, really large bags. The boys, then 4 and 22 months, were too small to carry them without dragging. Older brother carried the jack-o-lantern bag trick-or-treating, but it wasn't easy. The bag stretched with the weight of the candy and made it harder for him to keep from dragging. The main difficulty with using these as trick-or-treat sacks was that it was hard for little hands to manipulate the handles to open the bags.


On the flip side, their stretchiness makes them perfect for when you are at the market and need to cram just one more thing in. They are fairly sturdy. Since the armholes are the handles, it is easy to slide the bag all the way up on my shoulder to carry multiple at a time.

Total cost: $0

Total time: I think I made both of these in less than 30 minutes.

Final verdict: Great for shopping, poor for trick-or-treating with little ones. I just may start using them to give gifts in though. It would be really easy to make a bunch in lots of colors or thrifted shirts. Also, you could make them in all sizes based upon what size shirt you buy. Hmmm. . . I have an idea growing. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment