Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pin 195: Fun Fur Easter Wreath

Original pin:
P3091852 copy
The pin I had on my pinboard has an incorrect link but I liked this wreath so much I found what appears to be the original source and this is the link complete with a tutorial showing simply how easy this is: http://pattyschaffer.typepad.com/capture_the_details/2010/03/monday-make-it-spring-baby-grass-wreath.html

I pinned this a long time ago but had kept it in the back of my mind waiting for spring. After cleaning up the debris from Valentine's day, my mind went to this project. I sought out this yarn while at my favorite yarn store but was immediately turned off when I found it was $7.99 a skein. Because my original pin didn't have the correct source, I wasn't sure how many skeins I would need, but I was sure it would be at least three or four. This yarn is so skinny! Mission aborted!

I came home and started researching the original link. Turns out her wreath was only 8 inches but she only used one skein! Honestly, I was skeptical about this one. The next week, while at a different craft store I decided to check out their fun fur prices--just in case. I was pleasantly surprised to find it $2.99 a skein--and I had a coupon!! This project was back on.

I did want a larger wreath, so I purchased a 14" wreath. I bought a straw one because it was half the price of the foam. I left it in the plastic packaging to keep it neat. I also bought 2 skeins of the yarn. I started working on it that day. The more and more I wrapped, I just kept thinking, "There is no way that two skeins will be enough. NO way." I've been wrong before, and apparently I was wrong again. One skein covered almost 2/3 of the wreath!

See how small one skein is!! I can't believe it covered this much wreath.
Once I finished the first one and saw how much it covered, I squished it all in a little tighter before starting the second skein.

I had no trouble with the pins inserting or staying put in the straw wreath. Turned out to be a good swap. I used the entire roll of flower trim and then used scrap book paper, double sided tape, and a toothpick to make my little flag. I made it reversible and included a second phrase.


I just cut a long strip of white cardstock and folded it in half. I put a toothpick at the fold and secured it all with a strip of double sided tape.

I didn't think this would be a good outdoor wreath--especially with spring weather, so I hung it on the inside of the back door using a 3M release hook. I think it is super cute, and my kids like "petting" it. Lu-boy keeps asking if it is real grass.

Total cost: Okay, so overall it wasn't super cheap because I had to buy everything! Pink-head pins, ribbons, trim, wreath form, fun fur yarn. I spent about $22. But I love it so much I don't even care! And I can justify the bargain of the yarn not being $7.99 and using a coupon!

Total time: 2 1/2 hours

Final verdict: I think it is very spring-y. It was ridiculously easy. Once I realized that one skein really would cover an 8 inch wreath I started thinking about who I could make one for. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment